Home » Murchison Falls National Park Entrance Fees
Murchison Falls National Park entrance fees are a must-have for those who want to go on Uganda safaris in the park. And, all safari activities in Murchison Falls National Pak are conducted after paying the entrance fees.
These entrance fees in this park are charged according to age and nationality and are paid every after 24 hours. Visitors pay for the Murchison Falls National Park entrance per person. Also, all vehicles, boats, and aircrafts pay entrance fees with landing fees as well.
Murchison Falls National Park also charges entrance fees annually for those interested in the park.
These entry fees are paid at all the park’s entrance gates using credit cards or Mobile money across the MTN and Airtel networks. Also, tourists or visitors can pay these fees directly to Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA).
If you have paid directly to UWA, you will have to present a receipt showing that you paid all the fees for the days you are going to be spending in the park.
Also, 30% of all the Murchison Falls National Park entrance fees collected are equally distributed to the surrounding communities around the park. This revenue is to help these communities to keep away from the national park and also for their social development.
Below Is A Table Showing Murchison Falls National Park Entrance Fees
|East African Community|
|Ugandan Pupils or students||3000|
|Tertiary institutions/ Universities||5,000|
- All visitors are required to show their valid identification documents to identify their resident status.
- Murchison Falls National Park entrance fees are paid per day and per person
- Any extra time spent in the park after the 24 hours is charged as an extra day.
- These entrance fees are not inclusive of any safari activities in the park
- Children are those aged between the ages of 5-15 years
- Persons below the age of 5 years are exempt
Below Is A Table Showing Murchison Falls National Park Car Entrance Fees
|Tour company vehicles and 4-wheel drive||150||30,000|
|Buses and Lorries||200||200,000|
|Delivery Vehicle per entry||20,000|
- All vehicles are charged entry fees every after 24 hours except for concessionaire vehicles that pay once per trip in the park.
- Rescue vehicles are charged the same rate as other vehicles according to the vehicle classification.
- Some vehicles like trailers, motorcycles, vehicles with inflammable goods, livestock, produce, poles, timber, sand, and market merchandise are prohibited from the park.
However, they can be excused when delivering a service within the park or when under express approval by the Executive Director.
- Construction equipment includes graders, excavators, bulldozers, bowsers, heavy trucks, roll loaders, etc.
Below Is A Table Showing Aircraft Landing Fees In Murchison Falls National Park
Murchison Falls National Park has various airstrips where aircrafts land like Pakuba, Bugungu, and Chobe airstrips. However, the aircrafts are charged landing fees though this depends on the size of the aircraft.
Here is a table showing aircraft landing fees in Murchison Falls National Park;
|Up to 3 seater||20||40,000|
|21 seats and above||60||120,000|
- Parking fees for aircrafts are UGX 10,000 and it is charged per day.
- Also, landing fees exclude park entrance fees for passengers as they have to pay them on arrival.
- Pilots en route do not pay entrance fees if they spend less than 2 hours in the park.
How To Pay For Murchison Falls National National Park Entrance Fees?
There is no need to worry about how to pay Murchison Falls National Park fees. Paying for these fees is quite simple.
Visitors who are not in Uganda and yet are planning their Murchison falls safari can let their tour operators worry about the fees. They will handle all the necessary payments and you will only have to enjoy your Uganda safari.
However, Murchison Falls National Park entrance fees can be paid at the park entrance gates using credit cards or Mobile money. Uganda mobile networks that use mobile money services are MTN Uganda and Airtel Uganda.
Cash is not accepted at the park’s entrance gates.
Also, visitors or tourists can pay for the entrance fees directly to Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA). For all the payments you do, remember to always receive a receipt as it is a legit thing to prove that you have paid.
When To Pay For Murchison Falls National Park Entrance Fees?
Visitors can pay Murchison Falls National Park entrance fees through their tour operators a few months before their safari. This is the best way and good time for paying these fees as you pay them in a quotation.
Also, tourists can pay for the entrance fees at park entrances when trying to access the park though it is not wise as networks may be down. This can lead to delays as you await the for the networks to come back online.
So the best way is to pay for these entrance fees a few days or months before entering the park so that you are not bothered.
What Is The Importance Of Paying For Murchison Falls National Park Entrance Fees?
Paying for Murchison Falls National Park entrance Fees comes with great benefits for you the visitor, wildlife, and the surrounding communities.
Here are some of the importances for paying entrance fees;
- First, if you pay, you are given access to the oldest and largest national park of Uganda with various attractions that will leave you mesmerized.
- Also, 30% of the annual park entrances are divided equally among the surrounding communities for their economic development. This is to keep them out of the park so that they don’t poach the animals.
- Money got from Park entrance fees is used for the conservation of the park, especially wildlife. Animals that are wounded and injured are taken for medical assistance.
- Some of the money got from Murchison Falls National Park entrance fees is used in paying the rangers who are ever on full guard for the wildlife. These people risk their life so that they can protect the animals from dangerous people.
- Finally, this money is taxed by the government and used as revenue for running the country. So when you pay, you have added value to the development of Uganda.
What Is So Unique About Murchison Falls National Park?
The uniqueness of Murchison Falls National Park Uganda is the reason why you should visit the park. And there are many special things about this park and include;
- Murchison Falls National Park is bisected by Africa’s longest river (River Nile) which forms Murchison Falls the world’s strongest waterfalls.
- This park is home to over 556 Uganda birds including the rare Shoebill making it a birder’s paradise.
- Murchison park has 4 of the big 5 animals (Lions, Leopards, Buffaloes, and Elephants) making it a good destination for Uganda wildlife safaris. On top of this, it also has a mammal checklist of 144 animal species.
- This park has the highest number of Rothschild Giraffes in Africa with over 1,500 individuals and you can spot herds of 30-50 individuals at ago.
- Murchison Falls park has the highest concentration of Nile Crocodiles in Uganda along the Nile River.
Above are all the Murchison Falls National Park entrance fees for different people and of different categories. The entrance fees are paid to Uganda Wildlife Authority and no one can access the park without paying the entry fees.
For any clarity, please inquire
How To Get To Murchison Falls National Park | How To Reach Murchison Falls National Park
Murchison Falls National Park is easily accessible for those who want to enjoy Uganda wildlife safaris in the park. These various ways can be through a road trip or accessing the park by air.
1. Getting To Murchison Falls National Park By Road
One can drive from Kampala to Murchison Falls National Park to about 305 km taking around 4-5 hours. From Masindi the biggest near town to the park it takes 85km to reach the park’s headquarters at Paraa.
The most direct route to Murchison Falls park from Entebbe or Kampala is through the southern gate and the main gate of Kichumbanyobo. However, this park is also accessed by other gates in different directions of the park.
These gates include;
- Chobe gate in the north
- Bungungu gate in the south
- Tangi gate in the north
- Wankar gate in the north
- Mubako gate in the south
2. Getting To Murchison Falls National Park By Air
Murchison Falls National Park is well accessed by daily scheduled or chartered flights. This is the best way to reach the park as it is quick and you dodge the traffic and get aerial views of the national park.
This park has 3 airstrips where aircrafts can land and these are Pakuba, Bugungu, and Chobe airstrips.
Paraa and Bugungu airstrips are close to Paraa though Pakuba is most used since it is near most accommodations in the park. Daily flights to Murchison park are less than 1 hour and these flights depart from Entebbe International Airport or Kajjansi Airfield.
In addition, flight operators are Aero link Uganda, Bar Aviation, and Air Uganda. If you are planning a safari to Uganda, you need to book your flights earlier before your departing dates to the national park at least a month before.
Safari Activities In Murchison Falls National Park | Things To Do In Murchison Falls National Park
Murchison Falls National Park has various safari activities one on Uganda safari holidays can enjoy.
These safari activities include;
a. Safari Game Drives
This is the best way of seeing wildlife in the wild while in a vehicle. You drive on the different tracks in the park and you get opportunities of seeing 4 of the big 5 animals. Animals you can spot include Lions, Elephants, Giraffes, Leopards, Buffaloes, etc.
Safari game drives are best during day time and as well at night and usually last around 2-5 hours. And, they are also enjoyed mostly in the northern sector of the park since it has more wildlife.
b. Boat Cruises
If you want to explore the world’s strongest waterfalls and see aquatic animals then you need to board the boat cruise. There is a boat cruise that takes to the boat of the falls and another which goes downstream to the Nile-Albert Delta.
While on the boat cruise, you can see Hippos, Crocodiles, and many animals along the shores of the Nile. The Nile-Albert Delta boat cruise is the best way of seeing the Shoebill and other water-associated birds.
The Murchison Falls boat cruise is usually 2 hours departing from Paraa Jetty in the morning and afternoon.
c. Bird Watching
Murchison Falls National Park is one of the best bird-watching areas in Uganda with over 556 Uganda birds. It is the best place for seeing the rare Shoebill and many water-related birds.
Bird watching in Murchison Falls National Park is done in the morning and evening as this is when the birds are most active. This activity is enjoyed in the Buligi game area, Budongo Forest, Rabongo Forest, and the Nile-Albert delta.
d. Murchison Falls Hike
The Murchison Falls hike is the best way to see the Murchison falls. Hiking to the top of the falls takes 45 minutes as it starts from Baker’s point where the boat leaves you. Visitors can see the Nile squeezing in a narrow to form the falls.
e. Chimpanzee Trekking
Chimpanzee trekking in Murchison Falls National Park is enjoyed from Budongo Forest at the Kaniyo-Pabidi eco-tourism site. Visitors can trek the Chimps in the morning and afternoon with the guidance of armed rangers.
Once you spot the Chimpanzees, you are permitted to be with them for 1 hour. And, this hour is an experience of a lifetime.
f. Nature Walks
Nature walks in Murchison Falls National Park are the best way of exploring the park while on foot. You follow the well-developed trails in the park and you get to see various wildlife and beautiful nature.
These walks are best enjoyed in Budongo forest and Rabongo Forest. And, they usually last for 2 hours and visitors can do this activity in the morning and afternoon.
g. Sport Fishing
Sport fishing in Murchison Falls National Park is among the superb leisure activities in the park. Visitors can do sport fishing in the park in the morning and afternoon.
This activity is enjoyed towards the bottom of Murchison Falls and below Karuma Falls.
h. Cultural Tours And Encounters
Murchison Falls National Park is surrounded by many people who are rich in culture. Visitors on Uganda tours can explore these people, especially the Boomu women’s group and the Mubako community.
What To Wear When Visiting Murchison Falls National Park?
Visitors traveling to Murchison Falls National Park need to wear decent clothes that will not inconvenience them.
Some of the wear one can put on includes;
Long-sleeved shirts and shorts; will protect your body from sunburns and bugs. They can as well keep you warm when it is cold. Avoid bright colors, khaki and brown are recommended.
Comfortable shoes; these are to protect your feet from getting damaged and they can as well keep you stable on slippery trails.
Hat or cap; this protects your head from the hot direct sunlight rays.
Polarized sunglasses; protect your eyes from the strong sunlight and as well reduce the sun’s glaze.
What To Pack When Visiting Murchison Falls National Pack?
You to enjoy your safaris in Uganda in Murchison Falls National Park, there are essential items you need to pack.
Some of these items include;
A camera; is for capturing the good moments during your Murchison Falls safari. However, remember to carry extra batteries and memory cards.
Binoculars; zoom in wildlife that is far from you giving you clear sightings.
Insect repellent; this will chase away all the insects and bugs that may disturb you during your activity time in the park
Sunscreen; this will protect your skin from getting damaged by the strong sun.
First aid kit; this is used for quick medication and in case of any accidents
Personal Medication; always carry your prescription so that you have a proper health status on your safaris to Uganda.